Happy Sunday! Enjoying the long weekend?
If you haven't already heard, American Patchwork and Quilting has started a fantastic challenge for charity. The One Million Pillowcase Challenge and I'm delighted (and nervous to go first...lol)to be one of the designers to help kick of the One Million Pillowcase Blog Hop this morning!
APQ reached out to me and asked if I'd like to help spread the word about this awesome event. I love a good cause and I especially love being able to use my love of sewing to help someone in need. Believe it or not, I've never made a pillowcase before, the thought just never crossed my mind for some reason. I was just satisfied buying them and after making these two, I doubt I will ever buy them again. They're SO easy to make and I'm hooked!
I made two pillowcases yesterday and it really took me a lot more time deciding what fabric to use than it normally would for a project. I had piles and piles of fabric combinations spread out on my cutting table. Then I ended up coming full circle and using my own designs. It really warmed my heart to think that I not only stitched up these little pretties with my own hands for a good cause, but I designed the fabric as well!
I cherish sleep. No. That's an understatement.....I'm like a bear in hibernation actually and I take bedtime seriously! I prefer sheets and pillows that aren't too busy, solids in fact. So I knew that I didn't want to make anything with tons of patterns.....just something simple, but still fun.
APQ has several free pillowcase patterns available, so I used the Basic Pattern and out came the Kona Cotton Snow for the body and just a strip of Washi Triangles and Love Notes for the borders. Pom Pom Fringe makes me ever so happy, so I added some to the second pillowcase and love the result.
As I sewed I tried to imagine who would end up with my pillowcases and I must admit, that I got quite a bit teary eyed as I sat in front of my machine and had to stop for a moment. I've always made things for friends, family, work.....but this was different. I'm really surprised by how my emotions took over me while doing this. Just knowing that something as simple as a pillowcase, could probably help someone in a major way........well it just really touched my heart and I suppose I couldn't keep it inside. I guess I'm a softy after all. ^_^
Of all the sewing projects that I've done this year, this has been one of my favorites (Pho for Three is the other and yes, I got verklempt sewing for that as well. :P) I think these pillowcases will be on their way to ConKerr Cancer and I hope they make someone special very happy.
If you'd like to lend a sewing hand you can find all of the information here at the American Patchwork and Quilting site and get started making some pillowcases for a good cause as well!
For the entire month of September follow along to see the pillowcases that several other designers have donated, read their stories, and be inspired!
Here's the schedule:
1. Welcome from American Patchwork & Quilting (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
2. Rashida Coleman-Hale (http://www.iheartlinen.typepad.com/)
3. Olivia and Alayna's Pillowcase Project (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
4. Morgan’s Smile Factory (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
5. Pat Sloan (http://blog.patsloan.com/)
6. Northcott (http://pattispatchwork.com/)
7. Betsy Chutchian (http://betsysbestquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/)
8. Vanessa Christenson (http://www.vanessachristenson.com/)
9. Andover Fabrics (http://blog.andoverfabrics.com/)
10. Laurie Simpson (http://minickandsimpson.blogspot.com/)
11. Oak Hill, Ohio (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
12. Robert Kaufman Fabrics (http://www.swatchandstitch.com/)
13. Pam Buda (http://www.heartspunquilts.blogspot.com/)
14. Indygo Junction (http://www.indygojunction.com/blog/)
15. 4-H (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
16. Katie Hennagir (http://baywindowquiltshop.wordpress.com/)
17. Anni Downs (http://hatchedandpatched.typepad.com/)
18. FreeSpirit Fabrics (http://www.freespiritfabric.blogspot.com/)
19. American Patchwork & Quilting Staff (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
20. Patty Young (http://modkidboutique.blogspot.com/)
21. Moda Fabrics (http://modafabrics.blogspot.com/)
22. Monica Solorio-Snow (http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/)
23. Moda Bake Shop (http://www.modabakeshop.com/)
24. Andover Fabrics (http://blog.andoverfabrics.com/)
25. Roseann Kermes from Rosebud’s Cottage (http://rosebudscottage.typepad.com/)
26. Ann Kelle for Shannon Fabrics (http://www.annkelle.com/category/blog/)
27. Therm O Web (http://blog.thermoweb.com/)
28. Edyta Sitar (http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/blog/)
29. Fabri-Quilt (http://inspiredbyfabric.blogspot.com/)
30. Cherri House (www.cherryhousequilts.com)